How to make a house plant happy
This article first appeared in Belleville News-Democrat, January 2010.
As a senior projects manager for Ambius, Denise Eichmann knows her greenery. She offers several tips on houseplants:
- Peat-free compost is suitable for all indoor plants
- Variegated plants - those with leaves with white edges or white flecks - often need more light than their green cousins
- Plants acclimatize slowly to different surroundings by changing their leaf orientation and structure. Try not to move them around; they may not adapt as easily as you think
- Prune plants regularly to keep them from becoming leggy
- Don't dump leftover tea or coffee into plant containers. The sugars left in the compost make it an ideal breeding ground for bugs
- Use trough planters as natural screens. They reduce noise and are useful as barriers.